Call for Global South Youth: attend COP28 and make your voice heard!
CliMates Austria is sending one young person from underrepresented backgrounds to the next UN climate conference, 28th Conference of the Parties (COP28) in Dubai, United Arab Emirates this December, funded by the Austrian Ministry for Climate Action.
COPs have suffered from underrepresentation of people from areas and backgrounds most affected by the climate crisis. We recognize that we, youth delegates from the Global North, are a part of the problem. We want to make UN climate change conferences more equitable and inclusive – because perspectives from most affected people and areas cannot be sidelined, they need to take center stage.
As such, CliMates Austria, together with the Austrian Ministry for Climate Action, will provide funding to one young person covering travel (e.g. flights) and accommodation for COP28. We’ll also try and help you find accreditation for COP28 as best as we can.
This call is open to anyone who
- is from the Global South
- has an interest in international climate negotiations and is passionate about making a tangible difference
- is between the age of 18 to 30 on December 1st, 2023
- can attend COP28 for the entire duration, 30 Nov – 12 Dec 2023
- has a valid passport and can acquire a visa for UAE in time
- English on minimum B2 level for easy communication with other participants, or any other UN language (French, Arabic, Chinese, Russian), as translation of UNFCCC negotiations and side events would be available on site.
Application has now closed. Thank you to all applicants. We’ll be in touch at the end of September.